General information for employers
The employment of third country nationals on the territory of the Republic of Bulgaria is regulated by the Labor Migration and Labor Mobility Act and the regulations for its implementation. Depending on the employment that third-country national workers wish to pursue on the territory of the country, different regimes and procedures for access to the labor market are envisaged:
- Exercise of employment in connection with the issuance of a “Unified residence and work permit”
- Highly qualified employment of a foreigner with the issuance of an “EU Blue Card”
- Seasonal employment from 90 days to 9 months
- Intra-corporate transfer of employees
- “Work permit” for posted workers who are third-country nationals
Third-country nationals who have the right to long-term or permanent residence in the Bulgaria do not need to request an additional permit for access to the labor market.
Assistance and consultations for hiring foreigners
International organizations, operating in Bulgaria – the International Organization for Migration (IOM) and the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) and partner non-governmental organizations in Bulgaria Bulgarian Red Cross, Caritas Bulgaria, the Council of Refugee Women in Bulgaria and other providers of services for third country nations nationals can support employers for finding suitable staff.
The State Agency for Refugees under the Council of Ministers can also support employers in finding suitable staff among asylum seekers and beneficiaries of international protection in Bulgaria.
Employers can receive consultations on the procedures, rights and obligations, related to employment of third country nationals from CITUB.
Employers can receive consultations on the integration in the workplace of third country nations other related consultations from CATRO Bulgaria and the Bulgarian Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
Hiring foreign nationals under Labour Migration Agreements
Due to the economic development and shortage of personnel on the Bulgarian labor market, Bulgaria has taken measures to provide opportunities for bilateral exchange of specialists by concluding agreements in the field of labor migration regulation with third countries (Armenia, Moldova, Georgia and Israel). Access to the labor market is permitted for holding positions for which Bulgarian citizenship is not required by law. The terms of the agreement apply only to newly hired persons and are not applicable to those already working on the territory of Bulgaria. The competent institution under the Employment Agreements is the Employment Agency. The employment of workers is carried out through the Employment Agency according to the terms and conditions set out in the relevant agreements.
- Agreement between the Government of the Republic of Bulgaria and the Government of the Republic of Moldova on the regulation of labor migration
- Agreement between the Republic of Bulgaria and the Republic of Armenia on the regulation of labor migration
- Agreement between the Government of the Republic of Bulgaria and the Government of Georgia on the regulation of labor migration
- Agreement between the Government of the Republic of Bulgaria and the State of Israel for mediation and temporary employment of citizens of both countries
The multi-national project CONNEcting Cities Towards Integration actiON was co-funded by the European Union’s Asylum, Migration and Integration Fund.
This content of this website represents the views of the authors only and is their sole responsibility. The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for use that may be made of the information it contains.