Driving license from an EU Member State
A driving license issued in a EU Member State is recognized throughout the EU. This means that it will also apply if you move to live in Bulgaria, provided that it is valid and not revoked, not restricted or canceled in the country of issue.
In the event that the driving license expires, it must be renewed in the country of your normal residence. This is the country in which the person lives for at least 185 days in a calendar year due to personal or professional connections. If the driver’s license is renewed in Bulgaria, its validity period will be 10 years and the conditions and restrictions in our country will apply to it.
Driving license from another country outside the EU
Foreign national driving license of a Bulgarian citizen or foreigner, issued by a state that is not a member of the European Union, or by another state party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area, or by the Swiss Confederation is replaced by a Bulgarian driving license. driving without taking an examination if the State in which it is issued is a part to the Convention on Road Traffic and the certificate meets the requirements of Annex № 6 to the Convention.
A driving license of a person who has established his usual residence in the Republic of Bulgaria may be replaced at his request by an equivalent Bulgarian driving license without passing an examination.
Restrictions and conventions:
The foreign certificate submitted for replacement must be issued by:
– Member State of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, or the Swiss Confederation
– a State Party to the Convention on Road Traffic and the Certificate meets the requirements of Annex №6 to the Convention
– a state – contracting party to the Convention on Road Traffic and has signed an agreement with the Republic of Bulgaria for mutual recognition and re-issuance of driving licenses
The foreign certificate submitted for replacement must be valid.
The applicant have to:
– to meet the requirements for the issuance of a driving license provided by law
– to have a Bulgarian identity document
– his usual residence is in Bulgaria
– no other valid driving license issued by an EU Member State
– no restrictions or temporary disqualifications from driving in the territory of a Member State
– no procedure has been initiated for the replacement of his license in another Member State
Car registration in Bulgaria
The procedure for registration of a car for foreign citizens is under the terms and conditions for Bulgarian citizens. The responsible body for the provision of the administrative service are the Traffic Police at the Sofia Directorate of the Interior and the Regional Directorates of the Ministry of Interior.
Procedure for obtaining a driving license
The procedure for obtaining a driving license is under the terms and conditions for Bulgarian citizens. The issuance of a driving license upon completion of a driving course and passed examinations is carried out in the Traffic Police after the payment of a fee and the presentation of the relevant documents.
The multi-national project CONNEcting Cities Towards Integration actiON was co-funded by the European Union’s Asylum, Migration and Integration Fund.
This content of this website represents the views of the authors only and is their sole responsibility. The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for use that may be made of the information it contains.